Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well, this is it….the beginning of blogging life. I'll see how easy this will be to keep up or if, like other photo/scrapbooking projects, it gets cast to the side. I am planning on working on all that procrastination stuff this year!

Speaking of procrastination, it is the time of year to make resolutions and plans for 2009. This year my main goal is to make it a point to keep in touch with family, friends, and acquaintances. As the kids have all gotten older and, definitely more busy, I find it is harder to find 5 seconds to myself, let alone 5-10 minutes. So….communication is something I'm going to make an effort to do, even if it means locking myself in the bathroom with my laptop!

Life with four girls is always full of drama! Sometimes lots of drama….

Megan is now 19 years old and learning how to balance working and attending college. She's grateful to be living at home where her family still fixes her meals, cleans her dishes and clothes, and walks behind her picking up all of her "stuff". We're still working on teaching her the necessary life skills to support a family one day. I won't give up hope yet! We are delighted to still have her at home and spending time with her sisters and family. The lesson she learned this week is that parts to fix her car are much cheaper at the junkyard than through the dealer. Megan escapes all the auto repairs while her dad and Shelby end up spoiling her by rummaging through the junkyard. Shelby should be a master mechanic by the time she finishes fixing up her sister's car!

Shelby is busy as an 11th grader attending virtual high school and spending time instant messaging all her friends. She would love to spend her day in front of the computer from sunrise to sunset, but we make sure to annoy her enough to make sure she has other hobbies. She is still pondering which major she would like to pursue at college – nutrition or kinesiology seem to be her choices at this point. Shelby is a terrific cook and spends lots of time making delicious foods from all her Paula Deen recipes. Shelby and Jordann continue to take guitar lessons each week and are both learning excellent music theory from a very talented teacher.

Jordann is leaning over my shoulder as I type, so I'm sure she's planning on editing her section! LOL. I think Jordann spends most of her day trying to escape the clutches of her little sister, Whitney. She's become a master at teasing her and sending her tattletaling to Mom. Jordann is a 7th grader this year and we have immersed her in a classical education this year. She is an avid reader and reads countless books each month. She is fascinated with the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, so I often have to hide all those books so she has nothing to distract her from her studies.

Whitney is eight, definitely going on eighteen! I definitely have my hands full with her. She cannot seem to sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time, so school is always a challenge with her. The one thing I have learned with Whitney is that she is a kinesthetic learner. This last week she was busy freezing black paper so she could run outside when it snowed and watch the crystal formation from the snowflakes. This weekend she was busy pulling apart kidney beans from the chili I was making so she could study the dicotyledons. The trick is finding enough things to keep her occupied before I'm exhausted!

Frank tries to escape all the drama and meltdowns by wrestling with his prized Siberian Husky, Demon. I think it's a match made in heaven!

I'll be returning to college in a week and I am excited that I have finally finished all of my core classes….especially since it has taken me 20 years to get this far! I'll be focusing on all the education classes necessary for teacher certification and passing all the PRAXIS exams. I'm sure it will be a very busy semester!

~Kim~


No comments:

Post a Comment